A steel blade is a thin, flat and very sharp cutting tool which is usually made from stainless steel. A stainless steel blade can cut exceptionally well. However, it’s important to keep in mind a steel blade is quite sharp and if not used properly it can cause a very nasty cut possibly severing the skin.
Stainless steel blades are designed to repel rust and corrosion. Therefore, they’ll last a prolonged period of time. Carbon steel blades however are somewhat different. Carbon steel blades are exceptionally hard and sharp. Carbon steel blades make excellent tools for use in industrial applications. Carbon steel blades require less cutting effort on your part and will cut through just about anything.
Carving knives are almost always made from durable stainless steel. Therefore, some of the best quality knives may very well be sitting in your kitchen drawer among the eating utensils.
Steel blades have a variety of uses. Generally speaking, there are pros and cons when it comes to steel blades as with anything else.
- Stainless steel blades are generally tougher in comparison to carbon steel blades. The blades are tougher than carbon but not necessarily harder than carbon. Durability is a definite plus with a blade of this kind.
- Steel blades are quite easy to sharpen. Little effort is required to sharpen steel blades.
- Steel blades can often be recycled. Therefore, steel blades can contribute something positive as far as the environment is concerned.
- Blades of this kind can appear almost like new. Steel blades will normally not tarnish and they will also resist most rust and decay. This is particularly true of stainless steel blades.
- Steel blades are very easy to clean and maintain.
- Stainless Steel blades tend to be more costly. Therefore, economically in the long run steel blades will cost you more money.
- Safety factors/ precautions should always be taken when handling steel blades. These blades are very sharp and can cause serious injury if not handled properly.
- Great caution must be taken when disposing of steel blades. Safety must always be taken into consideration.
As you can see, stainless steel blades do an excellent job and they are designed to last a long time. Blades should be cleaned and stored properly after every use. It’s always a good idea to exercise caution when handling any blade because it’s better to be safe than sorry.